Solar Car Battery Charger | How To Keep Your Car Battery Charged At All Times
Today’s cars are swimming in a sea of electronic gadgetry (digital clocks, digital radios, alarm systems, remote start, cell phone sync, on-board computer, GPS, etc.), which must be on at all times, whether the vehicle is moving, stopped, or parked for a long time.
Unfortunately, prolong parking, without intermittent starts, causes battery drainage. Don’t be surprised if after a week or two of idleness your vehicle (car, van, truck, SUV, ATV, motorcycle, etc.) is unable to start due to a dead battery. We’ll show you, among other things, how to keep your vehicle’s battery charged at all times by plugging a Solar Car Battery Charger into its cigarette lighter receptacle.
How To Remedy This Situation
To keep your car battery from being completely discharged a panoply of solutions can be explored. You can either:
- Start the car from time to time;
- Jump start it with the aid of another car, or with a Compact Multipurpose Emergency Power Unit; or
- Plug a small Solar Car Battery Charger into the cigarette lighter socket.
Start Your Vehicle Frequently
Depending on the battery’s state of charge, it is advisable to start your car from time to time – every week or so – and to let the engine run for 10+ minutes to replenish the battery.
If that doesn’t charge the battery, it may be damaged to the point where it cannot be recharged anymore, in that case a battery replacement is called for; or something may be wrong with the car’s alternator, have it examined and replaced if necessary.
As mentioned above, you can jump start your car with the assistance of another car, but that’s not the ideal and safest way to jump start a car, as that may damage the electronics (computer) of the recipient car as well as those of the donor car.
The safest way to jump start a car is to do so with a Compact Multipurpose Power Unit. To that end, we recommend either of the following:
By jump starting your car with a Booster Pack, the risk of damages to its electronic components and computer system is virtually eliminated. Always read and follow the Jump Starter’s accompanied operating instructions before you proceed with any jump starting.
Solar Car Battery Charger
A Solar Car Battery Charger plugged into a cigarette lighter receptacle will trickle charge your car battery in sunny and cloudy/overcast days, as long the panel is exposed to sunlight, which, to us, is the safest (no moving parts), cleanest (no CO2 emissions) and most reliable and economical way (inexpensive) to keep your car battery charged at all times.
The Solar Battery Charger, a plug-and-forget-it device, is weather, scratch, and UV resistant, durable, and costs nothing to operate (sunshine is free!). To that end, we recommend Wagan Tech’s Solar Car Battery Charger 2017.
Features and Specifications
According to Wagan Tech, the features and specifications of the Solar Car Battery Charger 2017 are as follows:
- Dimensions WxLxH (in.): 14.6 x 1.0 x 6.5
- Weight: 2.0 lbs
- Solar Panel Type: Mono-Crytalline
- Solar Cells Material: Amorphous Thin Film
- Encapsulate Method: ABS Mount
- Solar Power: 1.8W (max)
- Fuse: 1A, 250V
- Output: 12V
- Peak Voltage: 15V
- Peak Current: >100mA
- Open Circuit Current: 22.5V
- Short Circuit Current: >130mA
- Power Cord Length: 130 inches (330 cm)
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty: 1 year
Warning: Submersion of unit in water will result in damage.
Operating The Solar Power Battery Charger
Operating the Solar Power Battery Charger 2017 is easy:
- Unpack it.
- Read the User’s Manual.
- Expose the unit to sunlight on the dashboard.
- Plug the solar panel cable into the vehicle’s 12V DC receptacle.
- The LED light will blink, indicating that the solar charger is converting sunlight into electricity.
In some vehicles the cigarette lighter socket is off when the ignition switch is off/key out. In that case, the Solar Power Battery Charger won’t be able to trickle charge the battery. The circumvention of that obstacle requires ingenuity and improvisation: Buy a 12V DC Battery Clip Power Adapter (see picture) and modify it by doing the following:
- Fuse the power adapter with an inline fuse holder. If already fused for short circuit, disregard the first step.
- Find an orifice behind or under the dashboard to run the 12V DC Battery Clip Power Adapter’s wires through.
- Clip removed, connect the negative (–) black wire onto the negative (–) battery post/terminal or screw it on the chassis.
- Clip removed, connect the positive (+) red wire directly onto the positive (+) battery post/terminal.
- Plug the solar panel cable into the 12V DC Battery Clip Power Adapter’s socket inside the car.
Since we bypass the original built-in socket, regardless of the ignition switch’s position (on, off, accessories, or key out), the Solar Power Battery Charge 2017 will charge the battery when exposed to daylight.
Solar panels, when exposed to elevated temperatures, are less efficient and, therefore, produce less energy. To keep your Solar Power Battery Charger performing at its peak output, crack open your car’s windows slightly to allow the circulation of cooling air in summer. In so doing, the solar panel’s output won’t be negatively affected.
Benefits of a Solar Car Battery Charger
To prevent complete battery discharge, we’ve suggested a frequency (weekly) according to which you should start your car, earlier. That activity, though, is time-consuming, money-wasting, and pollution-emitting. You have to take time and money out of your pocket to buy fuel to start the vehicle; and no matter how “clean” a car manufacturer claims the powertrain to be, it is a fact that all combustion engines pollute.
The benefits of the Solar Car Battery Charger, a plug-and-forget-about-it trickle charger, is threefold:
- Time-saving (no need to take time out of your busy schedule to start the engine weekly);
- Money-saving (no need to buy fuel to replace the fuel consumed by frequent starts), and last, but not least;
- Pollution-reducing (every time a combustion engine starts, it emits CO2. Pollution level can be reduced significantly with infrequent starts).
Now that you know why and how to keep your car battery charged at all times, the next time your vehicle experiences a dead battery after prolong parking, you’ll have nobody to blame but yourself: your failure to implement a brilliant, simple and proven idea. Buy a Solar Power Battery Charger now!
You may also like: